At Ysgol Dyffryn Aman we take Online Safety (internet safety) very seriously, our students are continuously educated about the dangers of the internet throughout the year. This is achieved through IT lessons, pastoral lessons and school assemblies.
On this site you will find lots of information and guidance for Online Safety related topics and dealing with Online Safety incidents.
We are acutely aware that pupils also use a range of devices to connect to the internet outside school. Parents and carers are encouraged to contact us to seek advice if required on keeping their children safe online whilst at home.
Top Tips for Parents/Carers to keep children safe online
1. Use internet filtering software and child-friendly search engines. Use your web browser’s controls as some offer differing degrees of security for each family member.
2. Check out what child protection services your Internet Service Provider (ISP) offers – do they filter for spam, for instance? If not, ask them why.
3. Keep the computer in an area of the house where it’s easier to monitor what your children are viewing.
4. Tell children not to give out their personal details. If they want to subscribe to any services online, make up a shared family email address to receive the mail.
5. Children love to chat, but make sure they only use moderated chat rooms and encourage them to introduce you to their online friends.
6. Encourage your children to tell you if they feel uncomfortable, upset or threatened by anything they see online.
7. Involve your children in writing your own family code of acceptable internet use. Remember that what’s acceptable for a teenager isn’t necessarily OK for a primary school-aged child, so get their input.
8. Computer equipment is expensive so bear in mind that a child with a laptop may be vulnerable when carrying it to and from school.
9. The web is a great resource for homework, but remember to use more than one site in research to get broad, balanced information and always reference your research sources.
10. Surf together. Go online with your children and become part of their online life. The key to safe surfing is communication.